We have been working with the Penn State College of Medicine to develop a new “early assurance” program for our students and I am very pleased to be able to share with you all the details!
Beginning in spring 2012, the Early Assurance Program will select up to five Schreyer Scholars, offering them an early assurance of admission into the College of Medicine prior to the start of their junior year. The early assurance decision secures selected Scholars a spot in the medical school’s incoming class in the fall after the Scholar’s spring gradu- ation. Admission is contingent upon the Scholar having successfully completed all requirements for graduation with honors outlined by the Schreyer Honors College and Penn State.
For successful candidates, the academic rigor of the Schreyer Honors College and the leading research and excellence of care practiced at Penn State’s College of Medicine may be a prescription for a lifetime of success in the medical field. Smart medicine, indeed.
Scholars must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- Hold a cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher at the end of their sophomore year with demonstrated high academic achievement in both science and non-science curriculum
- Have completed 8 of 10 required math- ematics and science courses. The required courses are:
- Biology (2 semesters)
- Inorganic Chemistry (2 semesters)
- Organic Chemistry (2 semesters)
- Physics (2 semesters)
- Mathematics* (2 semesters) — *Calculus recommended
The application review also includes an evaluation of:
- Extracurricular activities
- Community service
- Medical experience exposure (clinical observation, job shadowing, summer internships, etc.)
- Letters of recommendation from the Scholar’s honors adviser and from two faculty members
May 15 of the sophomore year Application review:
Applications will be reviewed by the Schreyer Honors College Selection Committee with finalists submitted to the College of Medicine’s Admissions Committee by the middle of June. Upon further review by the College of Medicine, selected finalists will
be interviewed and decisions offering early assurance admission will be made by early August, prior to the start of the Scholar’s junior year.
For more information about the Schreyer Honors College-College of Medicine Early Assurance Program, contact Dr. Arun Upneja, associate dean, Schreyer Honors College, at email@example.com.